Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Transferring fonts (and a sneak peek at Halloween!)

Last night I found the perfect Halloween costume idea for my boyfriend and I. Its simple, inexpensive, and SO. MUCH. FUN! We're going to be characters from Guess Who (that awesome board game I hope everyone got the chance to play as a kid). Best of all it was something I knew I could do SUPER easily.

I didn't finish the whole thing, that will be another DIY in and of itself once I figure out how I want to do it, but I did start it. And while I was working I figured I would share my secret to hand painting such perfect (and by perfect I mean not at all perfect but it looks better than my chicken scratch so lets roll with it) fonts on different projects I've done. For example on the Bachelorette Jeopardy game I just made, or the bunting I did for a bridal shower. Its really easy to do and I promise it will change your life!


Once you know how to do it you can put fancy pants font wording on pretty much whatever you want... paper, posters, wood, foam boards, your boyfriend.... you get the point.

First things first, you need to experiment with your wording, how big does it need to be? What kind of font do you want? You can download lots of free fonts from the internet, but just be careful about where you get them from, you don't want any viruses (obviously). After you've done that you can start.

Things you'll need
- Printer
- Computer
-Pen or Pencil
-A Project you want to write on
-Paint pens (use the appropriate width depending on the size of the writing you;ll be doing)

Don't mind the hot sauce. It has a permanent place on our dining room table because Grizley Adams eats it on everything. In fact I think he brushes his teeth with it.



Step 1: Print out your wording at the size you would like. Then go ahead and cut around the words so you can handle it more easily.

Step 2: Arrange the wording as you would like it to appear on your project.

Step 3: Trace the lettering with a pencil or a pen. This is going to depend on the material you're writing on. If its wood or paper I would suggest a ball point pen where you can really use some pressure. Since I used foam board with this project I just used a pencil. You want to make sure you push down hard but not so hard so though you'll rip through the paper. Once you're finished remove the "stencil".

Step 4: Use a paint pen to trace the outside of the indentation marks left on your material. Then all there is left is to fill them in!


And the finished product looks something like the picture below. Except this was a little sloppy so....hopefully yours is better! Seriously though guys this trick opened up a whole new way for me to do things, I really suggest you try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment